Disable Inequality Key Asks:
1. The appointment of a full Minister for Disability Inclusion.
2. That people with disabilities have a fair income.
3. That people with disabilities have the same access to supports and services as everyone else.
The appointment of a full Minister for Disability Inclusion.
As people before Profit takes a social view of disability, a minister would be a useful mechanism to hold the government to account, but it will have to be the disability movement and not the minister that will ultimately hold the government to account.
That people with disabilities have a fair income.
People before profit works to campaign for a fair income for all, and that the wealth of this country should be distributed fairly. With regards to people with disabilities, we say that
- All services have to be as accessible to as many people as possible.
- The society has to be constructed considering that there are people of varying ability who need access to the society. This will prevent a lot of the unnecessary difficulties and costs that people with disabilities face.
- There should be a basic income for all
- Official poverty statistics will be adjusted to take into account the costs of living with a disability. At present Official poverty statistics do not take these costs into account in their measurements.
- Real opportunities need to be provided for people with disabilities to enter employment, and for those who have acquired a disability to return to employment.
That people with disabilities have the same access to supports and services as everyone else.
- All services for people with disabilities will be rights based and not reliant on charity
- Aids both technological and social will be provided on the bases of need, and not on ability to pay.
- Access to health care should be based on medical need and not ability to pay.
- Creators of products and services have to insure that their product and service does not create a barrier to people with disabilities.
- All Products and services should be designed using the principles of design for all – universal design, this would help to prevent a lot of difficulty and costs for people with disabilities.
How do we plan to implement these policies?
People before Profit works on the bases of nothing about us without us. We work on this bases in all the campaigns on which we work. To achieve what we have set out above, we would Work with the disability movement to:
- Reverse all the cuts
- ascertain what it is that people with disabilities actually need
- Use the Dáil as a campaigning platform to fight alongside people to achieve this.
- Require all companies who provide products and services to consult with people with disabilities to ensure that their product – Service is as accessible to as many people as possible.
- Where a product or service has to be modified to make it accessible, that the provider has to bear that cost.
In addition, People before profit would be in broad agreement with the following statements in your document “Briefing Paper 11.11.2015 sent to party leaders etc.” We would probably argue for some of the items here to be achieved faster. But in principle we would agree with them.
- Establish a Joint Oireachtas Disability Inclusion Committee”
This Committee would only be effective if it is acting on the daily issues that confront people with disabilities in this country.
- That all legislative and policy matters must take account of their impact on disability;
People before profit is also in broad agreement with all of the Disable Inequality campaign’s asks in the following areas:
Ensuring an Adequate Income
Entry / Re-Entry to Employment
Health and Social Care – Access to health care should be based on need, not ability to pay and free at the point of delivery.
Housing- It is also the policy of people before profit to say that housing is a right for all regardless of ability to pay.
Communication and Information – It is the policy of people before Profit that Audio description be added to television broadcasts.